Currently, I am working on the following lines of research with some papers in different stages of progress.
The financial crisis and globalization
- Non-cooperation by popular vote: Expectations, foreign intervention, and the vote in the 2015 Greek bailout referendum (with Stefanie Walter, Elias Dinas and Nikitas Konstantinidis). Revise and Resubmit.- International Organization.
- Daring to Fail: When Bad Economic Management can be Electorally Rewarding (with Elias Dinas, Nikitas Konstantinidis, and Stefanie Walter).
- Keeping the euro at any cost? Explaining preferences for euro membership in Greece (with Elias Dinas, Nikitas Konstantinidis, and Stefanie Walter).
Political geography and nationalization of politics
- Who Gets the Pork? The Political Geography of Distributive Benefits.
- One or Two Arenas?: Party Competition and Electoral Externalities in Decentralized Parliamentary Democracies (with Francesc Amat and Sandra León).
Political economy of public spending
- Do Majority Governments Lead to Lower Fiscal Deficits? A Regression-Discontinuity Approach (with Joaquín Artés). Under Review. Paper awarded with the Alexandre Pedrós Prize to best paper in the XXI Spanish Public Economics Meeting, 2014.
- Government Consumption, Social Spending and Party System Fragmentation.
- Attributing blame? Evidence from multilevel governments in Europe (with Sandra León and Amuitz Garmendia-Madariaga). Revise and Resubmit.- West European Politics.
- Pre-election Volatility of Voting Preferences: Evidence from Spain (with Enrique García-Viñuela and Pedro Riera)
- Electoral Reactions to Distributive Policies: Persuasion or Mobilization?